|The CMIST was developed by CRREL for sampling in accordance with the principles of sampling theory. The tool has a simple, rugged design that is very easy to use and maintain. It is easily adjusted to fit most sampling requirements. It enables a sampling team to collect consistent surface sample increments more efficiently than with a hand scoop or spoon thereby reducing sampling related errors. Properly maintained and employed, the tool greatly facilitates the collection of multi-increment surface samples in many types of soils and through many types of vegetation.
Characteristics of Tool
- Interchangeable stainless steel sampling tips. Tip diameters are 2, 3, and 4 cm, allowing adjustment of increment mass. Different diameter tips allow for efficient increment collection of a wide variety of soils. The tip has an internal taper to facilitate ejection of the sample increment.
- Adjustable depth control (0-5cm)
- Light weight aluminum handle
- Rugged carbon steel base
- Increment ejection pusher mechanism
- Aluminum pusher discs
- Powder coated bright red so easier to locate in the field
- Disassembles for easy packing, transport and storage
- Three year warranty on aluminum handle and base assembly (excludes sampling tips). The warranty does not cover abuse or damage from improper use of the tool. The powder coating will chip and peel with normal use of the tool and is not covered by the warranty.
- Aluminum handle
- Steel base assembly including extraction mechanism and depth adjustment
- Three stainless steel tips (2,3,4 cm) with corresponding aluminum pusher discs
- Connecting pin